01753 764050
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Travel Advice

Screen and Music Travel can advise which airlines would be most suitable for your needs. We can advise airlines of any specific requirements and in most cases we are able to pre-assign seats.  

Excess Baggage

We can advise you if the airline charges for excess baggage per piece or per kilo and what is the maximum allowable weight for a single piece. This information can affect how you pack your kit. For example, 3 small separate cases could be packed into 1 larger flight case so you pay for 1 piece of excess rather than 3. It’s very disheartening to find that the extra pole for a minicam which was added at the last minute is going to cost you £300 to ship to the USA and back.
Equally, you can’t pack your entire shooting kit, clothing, tape stock etc into 2 enormous flight cases each of which are beyond the single piece weight limit. They’ll be rejected by the airline and you will need to buy extra bags and repack.


Lithium Batteries


Currently batteries that have capacities greater than 100Wh, but less than 160Wh, are restricted to 2 items per person, in hand luggage.

Batteries that have capacities greater than 160Wh cannot be taken as hand luggage or checked-in under any circumstances.

An individual may take on-board, in hand luggage, an unlimited number of Li-Ion batteries that have capacities of 100Wh or less.

It is recommended that you put tape over the contacts and place each battery in a plastic bag. Pack the batteries in your hand-luggage in a safe and secure manner.

It is also advisable to advise the airline in advance to determine any local rules and policies before traveling.



Life Jackets with CO2 Cylinders


Self-inflating life jackets are permitted if they contain not more than two small cylinders with a non-flammable gas, plus not more than two spare cartridges per person.

These items are acceptable only with approval from the airline, we therefore need to consult with your airline well in advance. You also need to allow additional time for check-in.




For larger amounts of kit and long term projects you could send some of  the equipment ahead of you. Iit can be much cheaper to send it as unaccompanied freight and we can advise you of many experienced reputable shipping agents.



If you are travelling with filming equipment and visiting a country which takes part in the ATA Carnet system then you must use a Carnet. The Carnet lists all items of equipment along with serial numbers and distinguishing features that will be used by customs officials to temporarily import the items using an importation voucher. A corresponding exportation voucher will be used as the items leave the country thus proving that they have not been permanently imported into the country.

It's really important to get the correct customs stamps at the point of entry and exit from the country you are visiting as any omissions can cause serious problems and may result in additional costs. You also need to leave yourself plenty of time before your flight - Customs officials won't be hurried and in some cases will inspect the serial numbers of every single piece of kit!

A Carnet document can be obtained from your local Chamber of Commerce or from specialist shipping companies. 


Duplicate List

If you’re not using a Carnet, you should use a Duplicate List (C&E 1246), click here to Download C&E1246 Duplicate List Form

This will need your VAT number (something hard to find at 4am) have a detailed list of the equipment you are taking (shipping list) with descriptions, serial numbers and value and make several copies on your official letter-headed paper.

If your trip originates from and returns to the UK and you are not using a Carnet, you should always fill in a Duplicate List form (also known as Returned Goods Relief). This allows customs officers to see that the goods exported are being returned in their original location and, subject to conditions in HMRC Notice 236 , will not be subject to import duty when being re-imported to the UK. In this way, a duplicate list performs the same function as a Carnet.

The advantages of a Duplicate List over a Carnet is that it's easier to fill in and there is no charge to use it.

You cannot use a duplicate list in place of a Carnet. If your trip includes a Carnet country, then you must use a Carnet.

  • Print out 2 copies and attach a shipping list to each one.

  • Shipping list should be on your company headed paper if possible

  • Include a unique reference number at the top of your list. This could be your film's production reference.

  • At the end of each shipping list state the type of goods (eg. filming equipment) and the reason for their temporary exportation.

  • Fill in the exporter's name, address & VAT number on Form C&E1246 (both copies)

  • Fill in part A of the form (both copies)

It’s also a good idea to have a letter ‘To whom it may concern’ explaining why you are travelling and what you are filming.



We can advise if you will need to have a visa. The process of getting a visa may be as simple as buying one at your destination, or it can be a lengthy application process involving a good deal of support documentation about your programme, its' crew and presenters and an in-person interview at the Embassy.

Sometimes you will have to post the applicant's passport to the country's Embassy and it may take several weeks to process. We can put you in touch with the Embassy to find out about visa requirements. It could take longer than you think!


Work Permits

Filming in a foreign country is classed as 'working' in that country even if you are not being paid locally. Some countries are very relaxed about this and you can enter without a work permit. Others are very strict as they see it as taking work away from their own labour force who in their mind can do the job equally as well as your own crew.

Getting a work permit can be difficult and in some cases almost impossible. You may need to apply through the country's Human Resources Bureau and you will need a lot of supporting documentation to make a strong enough case. Obviously, this is not a quick process.

The first thing to do is contact your destination country's Embassy and find out what their policy is. Do this as soon as you possibly can to allow plenty of time fo the application to be  processed.


Medical Certification

It is recommended that you check which diseases to protect against during your trip and you can do this via your own occupational health department. Some countries require you to have proof of vaccination in the form of a certificate which must be presented on arrival.

The requirement for having a certificate can also depend on which countries you are entering from. For example, Kenya requires a Yellow Fever vaccination certificate only if you're entering from a country where Yellow Fever is endemic.



It's essential that you have adequate insurance in place whenever you're filming. If you're travelling abroad, make sure that you've told the insurers which countries you'll be visiting and what you'll be filming when you get there. Don't rely on the airline's insurance cover for lost or damaged baggage. The amount you get is very small and not in any way linked to the value of the item lost or damaged. You may want your crew to have additional cover for personal belongings which may not be covered under your production insurance policy.

When taking out a production policy, use a specialist media insurance company – they understand what you need and will ask you all the right questions.  Remember it is your responsibility to take an appropriate policy so make sure that you are honest with the broker and that you know what your production is all about.


Filming at Airports

If you have any more queries, with specific regard to Heathrow, please visit Heathrow’s online media centre, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or call 020 8745 9905. You would have the responsibility to clear the rights needed to use another company’s branding, logos or staff. This includes any passing shots of airline check in-desks which can be seen clearly in the background.

The airport team are able to supply you with the relevant contact details and can send an introductory email to the airline partners.

It is vital that all crew have passports with them at all times. These regulations come from the Department of Transport so they cannot be altered.